Find Online Master of Nursing Programs in Connecticut
There are 11 Master of Science in Nursing Programs in Connecticut in our online directory, with all 11 programs being CCNE accredited, and zero programs being ACEN accredited. 100% of the Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) programs are CCNE accredited.
Typical Curriculum for a Master's in Nursing Degree
Typical curriculum for MSN programs vary based on the specialization and track selected. Sacred Heart University, the University of Connecticut, and Western Connecticut State University offer MSNs that prepare students to be certified as Nurse Practitioners. According to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, NP programs should provide theoretical and evidence-based clinical knowledge that prepare students for national certification in their anticipated area of population-focused practice.
However, entry-level core NP competencies are the same regardless of population-focus and include education in: Management of Patient Health/Illness Status, The Nurse Practitioner-Patient Relationship, The Teaching-Coaching Function, Professional Role, Managing and Negotiating Health Care Delivery Systems, Monitoring and Ensuring the Quality of Health Care Practices, and Culturally-Sensitive Care. This coursework is supplemented with required clinical hours. Most NP programs can be completed in 2-4 years.
|Master||Online MSN Family Nurse Practitioner||Website|
George Mason University
|Master||Master of Science in Nursing||Website|
Fairleigh Dickinson University
|Master||MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner||Website|
Saint Xavier University
|Master||Master of Science in Nursing||Website|
Western Connecticut State University offers an MSN that prepares students for certification as an Adult - Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist. Similar to Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) competencies reflect practices across all specialties, populations, and settings. According to the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, these competencies may be broadly categorized to include direct patient care, health promotion, interdisciplinary collaboration and consultation, system leadership, optimization of clinical outcomes, and health education.
Central Connecticut State University's program in Hospice and Palliative Care prepares nurses to deliver advanced nursing care for end-of-life and chronic care patients. According to the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association, common courses explore theory in hospice and palliative care, pathophysiology and health assessment across the lifespan, pharmacology and complementary therapies, and nursing leadership and interprofessional collaboration.
Nursing Licensure in Connecticut
Nurses who graduate from MSN programs that prepare Nurse Practitioners and Clinical Nurse Specialists are licensed as Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs), an umbrella term that also includes Nurse Anesthetists in the state. According to the Connecticut State Department of Public Health,
APRN licensure requirements include current Connecticut RN licensure, current national certification in one of the APRN roles, successful completion of 30 hours education in pharmacology for advanced nursing practice, and completion of a graduate degree in nursing.
Nurse educators and nurse leaders may be licensed as either an APRN or RN, depending on their individual training and educational background. There are multiple pathways for licensure as an RN by the Connecticut State Department of Public Health, including licensure by examination and licensure by endorsement.
MSN and FNP Salaries in Connecticut
According to data published in May 2018 by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for a Nurse Practitioner in Connecticut was $118,020. This is significantly higher than the average RN salary of $81,220.
All Accredited Schools with MSN Degrees in Connecticut
- M.S.N Family Nurse Practitioner - Henry P. Becton School of Nursing & Allied Health
- Fairfield University’s FNP program teaches advanced-practice nursing knowledge to manage health and illness problems of patients of all ages in rural communities. This program is accredited and course work can be completed online.
- M.S. in Nursing Leadership
- The Nursing Leadership program at Fairfield University graduates nurses who are skilled in fulfilling leadership and executive roles within the health care system. The program is accredited and can be completed online.
- Nursing in Operational Leadership (MSN - Nursing Program
- The Nursing in Operational Leadership program at Quinnipiac University graduates nurses who are skilled in fulfilling leadership and executive roles within the health care system. The program is accredited by the CCNE and is entirely online.
- BSN to DNP Family Nurse Practitioner
- Sacred Heart’s Family Nurse Practitioner program prepares nurses to provide primary health care, treatment and care plans to families and individuals of all ages. The program is accredited by the CCNE.
- MSN Nursing Education
- Sacred Heart’s Nursing Education program prepares nurses pursuing roles in staff development or nursing education. The program is accredited by the CCNE and studied entirely online.
- MSN Nursing Management & Executive Leadership
- The Nursing Management & Executive Leadership program at Sacred Heart University prepares nurses to teach in higher education and leadership in a variety of hospital, community-based, and health care settings. The program is accredited by the CCNE and completed online.
- Master's of Science in Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner
- Southern Connecticut State University’s Family Nurse Practitioner program prepares nurses to provide primary health care, treatment and care plans to families and individuals of all ages. The program is accredited and studied on campus.
- MSN in Nursing Education - School of Nursing
- Southern Connecticut State University’s Nursing Education program prepares nurses pursuing roles in staff development or nursing education. The program is accredited studied on campus.
- MSN - Nursing Management
- The Nursing Management program at the University of Hartford graduates nurses who are skilled in fulfilling leadership and executive roles within the health care system. The program is accredited by the CCNE.
- Master's Family Nurse Practitioner
- The Family Nurse Practitioner program at the University of Saint Joseph offers students the skills they need to function in health care delivery, management and education. The program is accredited by the CCNE.
- MSN Family Nurse Practitioner - Department of Nursing
- Yale University’s Family Nurse Practitioner program prepares nurses to provide primary health care, treatment and care plans to families and individuals of all ages. The program is can only be completed on campus.